End of gym week, and happily there. With the departure of the educationalists for the summer the annoyances of seniors becomes more apparent. And we have a new early person who is downright nasty. I shan’t mention any further characteristics but this person is enough to make me want to go elsewhere. Queue breaker. Self-server. Arrogant. Haughty. Nekulturny in the fullest meaning of the term.
On a happier note, I ran across a rather tawdry article [Link] n a tee shirt web site entitled “10 Questions Still Baffling Scientists”. The questions are:
- Why Do People Spontaneously Combust?
- Why Do We Yawn?
- Why Do Placebos Work?
- What Was Life’s Last Universal Common Ancestor?
- How Does Memory Work?
- Can Animals Really Predict Earthquakes?
- How Do Organs Know When to Stop Growing?
- Are There Human Pheromones?
- What’s the Deal With Gravity?
- How Many Species Are There?
which is a mixed bag. And as usual with lists, I can’t avoid some comments.
- Who cares? Except bogs and some sort of really bored geek? This isn’t common and the discussions I have seen in the nerd literature are good enough for working purposes given we can’t do experiments.
- This is a moderately good one. The best I have heard on this are (a) quick burst of oxygen, and (b) a prelude to sleep reflex akin to leg jerk. But again, primarily a bog thing.
- This one comes down to lack of maths and lack of experimentation, IMHO.
- This one is a step above what-color-are-the-deity’s-eyes? level of question. It is probably one of those questions that can’t be answered so why waste time?
- Another lack of experimentation one.
- Not worth dignifying.
- This is a DNA question. Give it time.
- Not sure this one is worthy of any list.
- Lack of experimentation again, this time due to the magnitude of the effort.
- This one is so silly it isn’t worth dignifying.
Obviously, this is a I-hate-summer day. Selah.